So today was the day. All but 2 of my new PC components were to be arriving at my house sometime today. Talk about excitement! OK, I’m a real geek, but honestly – I felt like a kid on the day before Christmas. So I’m at work all day tracking my deliveries(5 separate boxes) via I knew that our local UPS guy usually comes by our house during the late afternoon, but that didn’t mean anything to me. I wasn’t about to stop tracking my packages, until I saw that final “Delivered” by each tracking number.

Then around 10:30, I get a call from my boss. He’s stuck in training all week, so I figured that he was just calling to check on our group’s work status:

“This is David,” I say, using my standard greeting for internal calls.
“Hey, David. Since I’m out, I need you to sit in on the change management meeting this afternoon.”

I hang up the phone with a sigh. Attending one of our departmental change management meetings is like being subjected to a good hour-and-a-half of Chinese water torture. Not only that, but the meeting is in our conference room, where there are no PCs. I wouldn’t be able to track my packages!

The rest of the workday drags on. I wasn’t able to leave work until about 5:30 or so, but as I neared the driveway, I felt the anticipation returning. And then, there they were… huddled together under the shelter of my garage, three boxes sat calling out to me. At last! Now I can take these boxes inside, and get to work! I step inside to unload my keys, and lunchbox, and give a quick “Hi” to the family – when the cell goes off.

“Hey,” my boss says, “we have an emergency here, and I need you to go troubleshoot some problems we’re having with our cluster servers.”
“Sure.” I said. All the while I’m thinking, Damn! This would have to happen the day my parts come in! I won’t bore you with work details, but let’s just say that I didn’t get back to the house until about 9:30 PM, and by that time, all the eagerness, all of that pent-up anticipation was gone.

Tis a shame really…
Anyway, I was able to finally open the three boxes(still keeping some sense of satisfaction), and I’ve taken some rather poor quality pictures of each of the components that came in today. I still won’t be able to do anything with the parts until tomorrow’s delivery arrives… It has my CPU heatsink and fan, and I really won’t be able to do much until I have that assembled and mounted on the CPU and motherboard. I have, however, made the decision to take pix of each step of the assembly process as some sort of documentary. We’ll see how that goes…

I think I have come to the conclusion that I won’t really have any time to assemble the PC until Friday night at the earliest. I have Cantata practice until 8 tomorrow night, and we have to finish decorating the Christmas tree as well. Moral of the story? All that eagerness and anticipation just turned into anxiety… wasted feelings and emotions when you consider that I can’t really build the PC until the weekend.

Patience, my young Grasshopper.
[tags]work, pc, pictures, patience, zen, newegg, UPS[/tags]

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply